Friday, January 20, 2012

Collin Snoek Interview


1) Intro:
My name is Collin Snoek. I run Tilt Scooters and currently live in Chicago.



2) How did you start your own company?
Well, it pretty much started because I’m a really tall guy. Back before all these aftermarket parts, no parts were made any bigger than stock Razors. I built my own deck, bars, and fork from scratch. Then I ended up meeting Josh Young, and he pushed me to make pegs. I remember having to do loads of research on manufacturing processes in order to put the pegs into production. I did a good bit of the work in my parent’s unheated garage through the freezing Michigan winter. That peg ended up being the original Tilt Park pegs.




3) What is it like being one of the only rider owned companies?
Be
ing a rider and owning a scooter company can be discouraging. All of us riders are very opinionated. It’s difficult to support a market that is quickly filling with Chinese companies. I don’t necessarily see them as competition, but I have a vision for pushing products and values that will progress scooters. The other companies have a vision for finances, not whether they are impacting the sport in positive or negative manner.


4) What parts do you have coming out this year?
Well, the Tilt SCS is dropping in less than two months. An HIC double clamp will be finished about the same time. We have been working on a wheel and have made something like 130 prototypes. The wheel will come out this summer. Decks and bars are a ways off, but Tilt will have a complete by the end of 2012.



5) What do you think about your team roster?
The team is really great. I generally talk to everyone on the team at least a couple times a week. We do not add riders just for location or riding ability. Everyone has a vote on adding new riders to the team. The finished roster is a group of riders who work well together and are all buddies.


6) What is inspiring you? As far as running a company, I do not take much inspiration from other industries. Everyone on the team pushes me to make new and better products. I do my best not to let them down although that doesn't always happen.


7) What is it like running your own company?
Stressful. Running a company is not what most people imagine. In short, it’s working consecutive 12+ hour days for little pay. Everything about scooters becomes very monotonous. I’m not sure how it works, but the truth of the matter is I don’t see myself doing anything else.


8) Where do you see Tilt in 5 years
I have some goals, but those cannot be publicized. In short, Tilt will keep expanding and will be one of the premier scooter companies.


9) Biggest celebrity fantasy?
Honestly, I just want to chill with some of the guys on the Friendly crew.

10) Shit then shower or shower then shit?
Shit then shower. The other way around is just plain nasty.

2 comments: